Research Interests +
|Associate Professor, Informatics Department, IMT Atlantique|
|Member of the IHSEV team of the CNRS laboratory Lab-STICC|
|PhD in Computer Science with highest honors : active learning based on social guidance and artificial curiosity.|
|MSc in Computer Science, Ecole Polytechnique, France.|
|MEng in Adaptative Machine Systems, Osaka University, Japan.|
Selected Publications +
- Nicolas Duminy, Sao Mai Nguyen, Junshuai Zhu, Dominique Duhaut, and Jerome Kerdreux (2021), Intrinsically Motivated Open-Ended Multi-Task Learning Using Transfer Learning to Discover Task Hierarchy, Applied Sciences, 11, (3). [ youtube ]
- Sao Mai Nguyen and Pierre-Yves Oudeyer (2012),
Active Choice of Teachers, Learning Strategies and Goals for a Socially Guided Intrinsic Motivation Learner,
Paladyn Journal of Behavioral Robotics, 3(3):136–146.
- Sao Mai Nguyen and Pierre-Yves Oudeyer (2014),
Socially Guided Intrinsic Motivation for Robot Learning of Motor Skills,
Autonomous Robots,doi:dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10514-013-9339-y, 36(3):273-294.
- Maxime Devanne, Sao Mai Nguyen, Olivier Remy-Neris, Beatrice Le Gales-Garnett, Gilles Kermarrec, and Andre Thepaut (2018), A co-design approach for a rehabilitation robot coach for physical rehabilitation based on the error classification of motion errors , IEEE IRC workshop on Collaboration of Humans, Agents, Robots, Machines and Sensors. [ ]
I completed my PhD in Computer Science at Inria, working with Pierre-Yves Oudeyer, studying how to combine curiosity-driven exploration and socially guided exploration to learn motor skills into an interactive learner. I hold a master degree in computer science from Ecole Polytechnique and a master degree in adaptive machine systems from Osaka University. I started research in cognitive developmental robotics in Asada Lab, Japan, focusing on the theory of mind.
Interested in robotics, artificial intelligence and cognitive science, I try to bridge these 3 aspects in my work, and started working in cognitive developmental robotics. I have special interest in linking research of machine learning, robotic embodiment, child development psychology and neuroscience. I also explore possibilities to make robots adapt to their physical and social environments.
This is why I strive to answer the questions: Can a robot learn like a child? How do children learn? How do human beings or other species learn? Can a robot learn through social interaction with humans?
- 2019/05/09: I am invited to give a plenary talk and participate in a panel discussion for the seminar on A.I. and IoT : New Horizon, organised by ESATIC under the patronage of the minister of Digital Economy and the Post of Ivory Coast, Claude Isaac De.
- 2019/03/20: Our Team IHSEV is on TV on the French chanel Tebeo
- I am now associate editor of the journal IEEE TCDS
- I am organising with for the journal IEEE TCDS a special issue on Continual Unsupervised Sensorimotor Learning
- Our latest article Duminy et al, 2019, Frontiers in Neurorobotics+ has just been published
- 2018/12/18: Nicolas Duminy received his PhD
- I am member of the program committee of the conference IEEE IRC
- 2018/12/04: I will be presenting at the event EURÊKA, la journée inspirante du Village by CA - "Entreprendre en s'inspirant de la Nature"
- 2018/11/28: I will be presenting at The panel discussion on intelligent robots at the event 360 possibles
- 2018/09/17: I am co-organiser of the Workshop on Continual Unsupervised Sensorimotor Learning at IEEE ICDL-Epirob 2018
- 2018/09/18: Maxime Devanne will present at the EECV workshop Task-cv (Transferring and Adapting Source Knowledge in Computer Vision and VisDA Challenge) Devanne et al, 2018, EECV 2018 Workshops +
- 2018/10/07: Nicolas Duminy will present at IEEE SMC the poster Duminy et al, 2018, IEEE SMC+
- 2017/11/17: Maxime Devanne presented Devanne and Nguyen, 2017, Humanoids on Friday 17th November at Humanoids 2017. +
- 2017/11/04: Maxime Devanne presented our project KERAAL to Sophie CLUZEL, Secretary of State in charge of People with Disabilities, and Julien DENORMANDIE, secretary of state attached to the Minister of Territorial Cohesion, during the inauguration of the research chair Maintien@Domicile
- 2017/02/06: Telecom Bretagne has changed names to "Institut Mines Telecom Atlantique Bretagne-Pays de la Loire"
- 2016/10/01: I am coordinator of EU-funded KERAAL project which proposes a robot coach for physical rehabilitation. See the presentation video
- 2014/10/01: I have moved to Telecom Bretagne, in team IHSEV as an associate professor. I am also researcher at the IHSEV team of the CNRS laboratory LabSTICC The content of this website does not include my research projects there yet.
- 2014/07/28: I added the source code of SGIM for download from the Publications page code.
- 2014/02/02: A new journal article has now been published: Clement Moulin-Frier, Sao Mai Nguyen, and Pierre-Yves Oudeyer (2014), Self-organization of early vocal development in infants and machines: The role of intrinsic motivation. Frontiers in Psychology (Cognitive Science), 4(1006).
Click on the + to read more details